Sunday, September 16, 2012

0 Recipe for Chicken Lentil Stew

By Betsy McGuire
Recipe Of Chicken
The lentil. This is an ingredient that I have to say I've never cooked with before. However, I know how packed with nutrition they are so I just had to work them into my cooking. For starters, lentils are a good source of protein and iron so they make for an excellent meat substitute for vegetarians and those of us cutting back on eating meat. Additionally, lentils are a very good source of dietary fiber, folate, and manganese. Cook them up and toss them in soups, on salads, even put them in a pita with vegetables. I'm always looking for new foods to introduce to my family so I set my sights on lentils this week. Since I love to make one-dish meals, I figured lentils would fit right in as a substitute for a grain. I have to admit - while I was creating this dish, I had serious second thoughts. It was a bit unlike anything we'd had before and I was pretty sure the kids wouldn't like it. However, I tasted it as I went along and really liked it. The true test - the kids. They gave it a funny look when they got to the table, but after a couple of bites - polished it off. They loved it! With their superstar nutritional profile and low, low cost, I'd be willing to say lentils will now be a staple in my pantry. Here's the dish I used to bring my family to lentils.
CHICKEN LENTIL STEW
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 cup dry lentils
1 cup low-fat chicken broth
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1 tsp minced garlic
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup fresh spinach, shredded
Salt to taste
4 servings
Recipe Of Chicken
Rinse the lentils and place them in a medium saucepan with the carrots and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender; about 20 minutes. While that's simmering, spray a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray (or olive oil from a mister) and add the chicken and garlic. Sprinkle the chicken with the herbs and cook until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, spinach, and cooked lentil mixture to the skillet; heat through.
calories = 390
sat. fat = 3.2 g
fiber = 9.3 g
protein = 48 g
More information about food restaurants and chicken recipe here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Food Recipes Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates